Holistic dentistry, otherwise called natural or biological dentistry, is an unconventional approach to dentistry that extends beyond just oral health and considers an individual's overall health and well-being. The main principle behind natural dentistry is dependent on the thought that teeth are a vital part of the body, and by taking care of the body and teeth, our overall health will also improve.
Holistic dentistry focuses on enhancing the patient's welfare by emphasizing the body's self-healing mechanisms. The practitioners of holistic dentistry believe that a healthy oral cavity shouldn't contain any toxic materials. Hence, they do not use amalgam fillings or stainless steel nickel crowns in their dental procedures. Instead, they replace it with alternative and non-toxic materials.
The perks of holistic dentistry are said to be the outcome of its inclusion of Ayurveda, spiritual healing, nutritional education, homeopathy, hypnosis, and aromatherapy.
Holistic dentists always strive to discover better methods that will benefit dental patients and result in healthier outcomes.
Holistic Dentistry - advantages
- Holistic dentistry views the mouth as an important part of the whole body and connects oral health issues with overall body wellness. They believe that the health of the mouth reflects the health of the body. For example, the accumulation of plaque and tartar on the teeth can signal issues related to the brain, heart, and pancreas. Therefore, a holistic dentist helps stabilize the bacteria in their patient's mouth to support their teeth, gums, and overall health.
- The holistic dentists consider fluoride as a harmful toxin that affects our nervous system and discourages its indiscriminate use.
- Holistic dentists practice safe mercury amalgam removal techniques (SMART) and utilize biocompatible substances to reconstruct your bite and teeth.
- All during the holistic dental care practices, dentists reinforce and encourage the need for good nutrition, sleep, exercise, and healthy living habits. By promoting your health in each of these crucial aspects, holistic dental care improves your quality of life and protects you from many preventable health issues and lifestyle diseases.
- Holistic dentistry involves focussing on modern, minimally invasive techniques and procedures. This technology combines superior 3D low-dose digital x-rays, high-tech ceramic dental implants, lasers to cure gum diseases, and same-day crown technology.
- Sleep related issues like sleep apnea can lead to weight gain, high blood pressure, memory loss, impaired alertness, heart attacks, strokes, and sudden death. A holistic dentist can manufacture a comfortable-fitting mouthpiece to keep the airway clear, allowing proper breathing and undisturbed sleep.
Your oral health can largely affect your overall well-being, which is why we employ a holistic path to your dental care. It's very hard to put into words what makes holistic dentistry different, but you would feel it based on the conversations we would have with you specifically. That is what is different and the majority of our patients come to us for that. Call Natural Smiles Dental Center, and our dental team will help you know more about the advantages of holistic dentistry.